ABBYY FineReader recognizes both mono- and multi-lingual (e.g. written in two languages) documents. For multi-lingual documents, you must select several recognition languages.
To set the document recognition language, in the Pages window (or the New Task window, if you are using quick tasks), use the Document Languages drop-down list, and select one of the following:
ABBYY FineReader will automatically select the appropriate languages from the user-defined list of languages. To modify this list:
- Select More languages…
- In the Language Editor dialog box, select the option Automatically select document languages from the following list is selected.
- Click the Specify… button.
- In the Language List dialog box, select the desired languages.
- A language or a combination of languages
Select a language or a language combination. The list of languages includes the languages most often used on the computer, as well as English, German, and French.
- More languages…
Select this option if the language you need is not visible in the list.
In the Language Editor dialog box, select the Specify languages manually option and then select the desired language or languages by checking the appropriate boxes. If you often use a particular language combination, you can create a new group for these languages.
There are several reasons that a language may not be listed:
- The language is not supported by ABBYY FineReader.
For details, see Supported Languages.
- The language was disabled during custom installation.
- Click Start>Settings>Control Panel and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.
- In the list of installed programs, select ABBYY FineReader 10 and click Change.
- In the Custom Setup dialog box, select the desired languages.
- Follow the setup instructions.