User Dictionary: Adding and Removing Words
If your text contains many special terms, abbreviations, and proper names, adding these terms to the user dictionary will improve OCR quality. For each added word, ABBYY FineReader generates all possible word forms to allow the program to reliably recognize it in its various forms (plural, verb, etc.).
To add a word to the dictionary while checking the spelling:
- In the Check Spelling dialog box, click the Add… button.
In the Primary form dialog box enter the following information:
- Part of speech (Noun, Adjective, Verb, Uninflected)
- If the word is always capitalized, select the Sentence case item
- The primary form of the word
- Click OK. The Create Paradigm dialog box will open.
ABBYY FineReader will ask you questions about the possible forms of the word in order to construct the paradigm of the new word. Click Yes or No to answer these questions. If you make a mistake, click the Anew button and ABBYY FineReader will repeat the question. The created paradigm will be displayed in the Paradigm dialog box.
Important! Paradigms can only be created for words added in the following languages: English, Spanish, Italian, German (old and new spelling), Russian, Ukrainian, and French.
When adding English words, you have the option of entering them in their uninflected form rather than creating a paradigm. On the Advanced tab, click Spell Checker Settings… and select Skip prompting for word forms (English dictionary only).
To add or remove a word while viewing the dictionary:
- From the Tools menu, select View Dictionaries…
- In the Select Dictionary dialog box, select the desired language and click View…
- In the Dictionary dialog box, type a word and click Add… or select a word and click Delete.
The program will notify you if the desired word is already in the dictionary. You may then wish to view its paradigm. If the paradigm is incorrect, create a new paradigm by clicking the Add… button in the Add Word dialog box.
You can import user dictionaries created in previous versions of ABBYY FineReader (versions 6.0, 7.0, 8.0 and 9.0 are supported).
- From the Tools menu, select View Dictionaries…, select the desired language, and click View…
- In the Dictionary dialog box, click the Import… button and select the dictionary file you wish to import (it must have the extension *.pmd, *.txt, or *.dic).